All applicants must be in Australia and hold an eligible visa at the time a subclass 887 visa application is made unless COVID-19 concessions apply.
An eligible visa is a:
- subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487 visa, or
- Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, after having made a valid application for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa, or
- where a subclass 887 visa is lodged outside Australia during the concession period, a visa mentioned above that expired during the concession period while the holder was outside Australia.
The person seeking to satisfy the primary criteria must also have held one or more of the following eligible visas for a total of 2 years before a subclass 887 visa application is made:
- 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487 visa.
Note: The person seeking to satisfy the primary criteria will be the person who seeks to meet the 887 work and residence requirements.
Meet the residence requirement
At the time you apply for this visa you must have lived for a total of at least 2 years (unless COVID-19 concessions apply), as the holder of one or more eligible visas, in:
- a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area if a state or territory government nominated you for your eligible visa, or
- a designated area of Australia if a family member sponsored you for your eligible visa.
Meet our work requirement
When you apply for this visa you must have worked full-time for at least 12 months (unless COVID-19 concessions apply), as the holder of one or more eligible visas:
- in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area, if a state or territory government nominated you for your eligible visa, or
- a designated area of Australia if a family member had sponsored you for your eligible visa.
Full-time work means 35 hours per week. You can combine work in concurrent part-time employment to satisfy this requirement. You can work in your nominated occupation or any other occupation.
Have complied with conditions of your eligible visa
You, and any family members holding an eligible visa, must have complied with the conditions attached to your eligible visa when in Australia. This requirement applies for the whole period you hold the visa(s).
At time the time we make a decision on your application you must:
- have functional English, or
- have paid the second instalment of the visa application charge for your eligible visa, or
- pay the second instalment of the visa application charge when we ask for it
Meet the character requirement
You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet our character requirement.
Family members not accompanying you to Australia must also meet the requirement.
Sign the Australian values statement
The visa costs AUD415 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
You might have to pay an extra charge for any member of the family unit applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English. This charge is called the second instalment charge. Pay it only when we ask you to. We ask for the charge only if we are going to grant the visa.
The second instalment charge is AUD4,890.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the second instalment or other costs. You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.